LUBBOCK, Texas – The Texas Tech Lady Raider basketball team finished out its nonconference schedule with a 100-47 win over Incarnate Word on Tuesday afternoon at United Supermarkets Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
For a second-straight game, the Lady Raiders (6-2, 1-1 Big 12) were led by a pair of 20-point scorers in Lexi Gordon and Vivian Gray. Gordon led all scorers with 28 points, along with eight rebounds and four assists. Gray finished with 27 points, 10 rebounds, four assists and two blocks for her second double-double of the season.
Alexis Tucker also posted a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds for the first of her sophomore season. Freshman Khadija Faye also scored in double figures in the win, recording 10 points, four rebounds and four blocks—all of which were career highs for the rookie.
Every Lady Raider to see the floor on Tuesday got in the scorebook, with seven players scoring five or more.
Texas Tech was stout defensively, as the team held the Cardinals to 25.4 percent shooting from the field. Tech also rejected a season high nine shots.
After the Cardinals scored on their opening possession to take a 3-0 lead, it was all Lady Raiders from then on. Texas Tech outscored Incarnate Word, 19-9 in the first and 22-9 in the second to lead by 23 at the break.
Lexi Gordon helped keep things going out of the break, hitting four of her five three pointers in the third quarter to help Tech outscore the Cardinals, 26-8 in the third. Tech closed it out with 33 in the final frame, which included the first threes of the season for Bryn Gerlich and seven points for Najé Murray.
- For the second time this season, the Lady Raiders starting five included Bryn Gerlich, Lexi Gordon, Naje Murray, Vivian Gray and Alexis Tucker. That lineup is now 2-0 this season when starting a game for Tech. It marked the fourth starting lineup in seven games this season for the Lady Raiders.
- Lady Raider senior Vivian Gray opened the game with the first six points of the day for the Lady Raiders. Gray finished with her second double-double in the last three games, scoring 27 points to go along with 10 rebounds, four assists and two blocks. The 27 points were a season high for Gray.
- Lexi Gordon scored 20 or more points in a third-straight game, leading all scorers with 28 points, along with eight rebounds, six assists. Over her last three games, Gordon has averaged 25.7 points, 8.3 rebounds and 2.7 assists.
- It marked the second-straight game that Tech has had two 20-point scorers.
- Sophomore Alexis Tucker posted her first double-double of the season with 10 points and 10 boards. It was the third double-double of her career.
- In only her second collegiate game, Khadija Faye recorded 10 points, four rebounds and four blocks. All three were career highs for the freshman.
- For the third time this season, every Lady Raider that saw action on the day scored points. Seven Tech players scored five or more.
- After the first half, Tech held a 32-11 advantage on the boards, and finished with a plus-40 edge on the glass. Tech outrebounded the Cardinals, 58-18. The 58 rebounds were a season high for the Lady Raiders and the 18 Cardinal rebounds were a season low for a Tech opponent. Tech hadn't recorded 50 or more rebounds in a game in nearly a year (Jan. 8, 2020 at TCU)
- Tech held the Cardinals to 6-of-35 (17 percent) shooting in the first half, and held them to three or fewer field goals in three of the four quarters. UIW finished with 17-of-67 shooting (25.4 percent) from the floor--a season low for a Tech opponent this year.
Tech continues conference play on Saturday night when the team travels to Stillwater, Okla., to face Oklahoma State. The game is at 6:30 p.m. on ESPN+.